Monday, January 15, 2007

Steryotypes are Shortcuts


The jocks, the losers, the home schoolers, the popular, the athletic. We all know them. We all do it too. Classify people according to the outward appearance and actions. However, are we always right? I happen to have the gift of sterotyping. Today at lunch I found myself watching people and I had a somewhat amazing thought. What if we didn't sterotype? What if we just switched it up entirely and ate with a different group? What if we didn't see sterotypes, but we saw the person. We saw the freshman eating lunch alone, and not the sheltered home schooler. We saw the guy playing pool by himself and not just a brain without a group. What if we didn't classify people as brains, or stuck up, because they happen to be "popular." Jesus saw people as people, and that's how I want to see them.

2 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger jules said...

liz liz...
once again, you have done it. on this, my sentimental day, you have brought tears to my eyes. how right you are. thanks for writing that. (me too.)

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Noah said...

Amen


One advantage to all I've been through: I've been forced to see the students, faculty, staff, and my church members the way that God does- my family. Granted, I don't always do a very good job displaying the kind of love that seeks to make Christ the most important thing in their lives, but I'm trying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home