Friday, December 01, 2006

You Are So Special....


"You are such an individual." We've all heard it, I usually hear it at least once a day. As I watched the snow flakes fall from my dorm room window, I began to ponder this question, what makes someone an individual.
They are unique. Not necessarily. I'm called an individual on a daily basis, and I'm not all that different from anybody else. Individual in the sense that I am the only exact, carbon copy of myself, now that I understand. There is truly no one else like me, or is there?
Everyday I see people on this campus that remind me of someone else. Someone from high school, a member of my family, that guy I met at Kwik Trip last week. People all over this world compare themselves to celebrities or politicians and try to determine which one they look the most like, or in some cases, who or what the celebrity or politician looks most like. If people are really all unique, what's so unique about that?
True individuality is rarely recognized and scarcely rewarded. Those who appear the most controversial in their ideas, the most popular, and those who seem to over achieve in the spotlight are given the glory. But true individuals, people who acted against the character and ebb and flow of everyone around them, live and die in the shadows. The little people in the Bible, the civil war soldier, the B student, all people who may have stood above everyone else and are yet forgotten. The Bible character that donated his tomb for Christ. The Civil War soldier who at the Battle of Antietam had the brilliant idea of a Union counter attack. The average student who gave up his study time to volunteer. These are the individuals who deserve the recognition.
Where do I fit in? The spotlight is always desirable, human nature itself can attest to that.To be the captain of the team, the spiritual leader, the student body president, the next American Idol, all of these dreams and ambitions are in everyone of us. But those who lay aside these ambitions for a backseat role in society, these are the true individuals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home