Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Trials are Terrific

* Warning: the following post is almost void of humor, my deepest apologies, and tomorrow we will return to our regularly scheduled blogging.*
Ok, so maybe I'm optomistic. But today as I was preparing for my devotional groupies, I was discouraged by the trials I see around me. Many of my friends are going through real heartache, or dealing with old heartaches after a long time. When I hold up the trials of those around me, to my pittly issues, they don't compare. All of this stuff led me to one of my favorite books of the Bible, James. In James 1:1-7, it says to "Count it all joy when you fall into divers temptations, Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience, But let patience have her perfect work. that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing." I guess everytime I used to read that passage, I thought it was Paul just brushing aside the trials that everyone goes through. But upon further review, I've discovered that it's just the opposite. The trials that we go through make it possible for us to be joyful. Crazy huh? But think about it. If we never went through anything difficult, how much we would take for granted the good days. Unless we have bad days, it is impossible to have good ones. Does that make sense? I guess trials of all shapes, sizes, and priorities shape us into the people God wants us to be. I guess some days the stupidest stuff gets to us, when it really shouldn't. Take for example, yesterday, I received a congratulations on your engagement card. Now, I haven't been dating this particular person for about two 1/2 years now, but it still hurts to see where we could have been instead of where we actually are. I know this isn't making any sense at all, but bear with me. I felt horrible that here I was, alone and at school, single as all get out, and well, I felt like maybe I missed God's best for my life. But you know what, going through that trial has prepared me for future relationships and prepared me to help others who may go through the same thing I did one day. All of these trials are to make us perfect and entire, wanting, desiring, needing, expecting, yearning for, nothing. Guess God provides us with passages of Scripture to help others, and by helping others we help ourselves...

1 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Jiphanie110 said...

Two words...VERY TRUE! Two more words.. GREAT POST, you don't have to have humor to be interesting Liz!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home