Monday, September 11, 2006

The Importance of Being Elizabeth

Today is Monday, the eleventh of September, it's dark and dismal outside, and it's been pouring rain all day long. And by all day, I mean all day and all night long as well, it's been pouring. By some small miracle I've been able to accomplish quite a bit of hw, and work, and go to class. Crazy I know. Not much has happened in my life over the last week or so. The day's have been pretty common and boring. However, I've discovered a few interesting things about the people in my US History class, and have decided to commit a small portion of my blog to them.
1) There is the sleeper. He's the kid who is always wearing a bulky jacket and occassionally sunglasses in class. He sits nonchalantly in the back of the classroom and spends the first and last 15 minutes of the class pretending that he is A) not going to sleep this hour, and B) pretending he hasn't just woken up. 2) There's the "look at me I'm here for your visual enjoyment" members of the class. Theses girls enter the classroom in some highly trendy outfit and periodically flick there nails through their hair. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for looking put together and attractive, but not the center of attention. 3) There's the, just ask me I know all of the answers to every question that you could ever possibly ask guy, but don't be fooled, this kid knows absolutely nothing. When asked a question her responds with, I couldn't say it any better than the textbook, and proceeds to read out of the book. 4) There's the head nodder. No matter what the teacher says, the kid cleaverly pretends he's been paying attention the entire time and nods his head accordingly. " The US will someday be abducted by aliens"-the kid's sitting over there nodding away. And 5) but not last, is my personal favorite, the leech. This kid sits in the back and pretends to be actually learning, while all the while is leeching off of his neighbors textbook. This kid is funniest to watch when his answer buddy feeds him the wrong answer, or the professor asks the dreaded follow up question.
Anyway, that's my history class. I read in a book this past week , Worst Case Scenario College Edition, that voting the kids in your class during class helps focus attention on something other than sleep.
Let's see, what else happend this week. O I learned the Importance of Being Elizabeth. Yup, you guessed it I've been listening to all of those "self help" tapes again. Just kidding. Actually I'm beginning to realize for the first time in my life that I'm completely and utterly content with the young woman God has made me and am happy where I am. Sure, I could always be happier, but for right now I'm appreciative of the struggles God has given me and the grace he provides for each and everyday. I've started a new habit which has greatly helped improve my attitude. For those of you who know me, I hate the morning. I mean, I've heard of a sunrise but have yet to actually witness one. So, being back at school which requires one to rise at crazy ridiculous hours is not my cup of tea. So I begin each morning with prayer. Sounds easy right? Well, for someone like me who rarely thinks prior to ten in the morning, it's been a real struggle which has proven very rewarding. Holy Cow! Look at the length of this post! Too bad my paper wasn't this easy to write. Anyway, hope you all have a great day, and try looking to the lord for the first thing, even when it's cold,dark and rainy.

2 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Blogger Jiphanie110 said...

WEll Liz I must say that this post made me feel many different emotions! I laughed, I agreed with the author, and most importantly I felt you tugging on my heart about actaully talking to my heavenly father more! Thanks for all the great words of wisdom! Have fun writing that paper..did I mention that my classes haven't even started yet? haha! tootles!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger jules said...

liz! i love that post! i can totally picture people in your class, how funny!
thanks for the encouragment to be looking to the Lord. it's always good to be reminded of what's important even when we don't feel like remembering...
thanks :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home