Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Time of My Life


Right now, I'm sitting in my overstuffed arm chair, watching 24 on DVR, and trying to savor the last few moments of Spring Break. My week wasn't exciting. I didn't go to Mexico or Miami Beach. I didn't get a tan or swim in the ocean. I didn't go out with a bunch of friends or go road trippin'. I reflected. For the first time in a long time I stopped everything and waited. Waited for what, you ask? I don't really know. I'm not in the middle of a crisis, and I'm not overwhelmed with life or anything. Granted, I have a few unanswered issues in my life, and a Bible Doctrine paper that's still lying unfinished on the kitchen table. I didn't stop to rethink my life or change my major, I just wanted to stop. So stop I did. I babysat and watched tv, played on the Internet and baked cookies. To most people, I "wasted" my Spring Break, but for me, it was one of the best ever. See, I've realized something over the last few days, I don't do this enough. Granted, one can't spend their whole life watching tv and laying around the house, but we can appreciate little things. God created life for His glory and our pleasure. Yet, God didn't create only weekends and vacations, not only fun trips and family reunions. God created Mondays, and day-after-vacation days, first day of the semester days, and days when it all hits the fan. So, tonight, as I linger in these last few precious moments, I'm making myself a promise. As I leave tomorrow, I"m not going to cry, I'm not going to get all depressed, I'm not going to complain that the week was too fast or that school is too boring. I'm going to savor the last 4-5 weeks of my sophomore year. I'm going to listen in class, even when watching paint dry is more exciting. I'm going to savor dinner with my friends in the dining hall, and Dr. Oat's messages in chapel, because these are the last precious moments of this semester. These are the last times this particular group of people are going to be together. These are the last days I'm going to be like I am now. These could be the best days of my entire life.

3 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger jules said...

very insightful :)
thanks for sharing, friend.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lizzy-thanks for the articulation of something we all needed to hear. I love you and miss your refreshing attitude quite a bit! Have fun savoring!

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and btw, I officially LOVE the song you used in your title! It is a perennial classic in my home :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home